Saturday, May 21, 2011

Jesus of Suburbia:Sid and Nancy Edition




I am a fan of Green Day and I watched their video for "Jesus of Suburbia" the other day and when I watched it the first people who came to mind were Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen. Because the guy who is the main character in the video looks a lot like Sid Vicious! He resembles him I suppose becasue he is skinny and just has that whole grunge-punk rocker-out of control thing going on. The video shows a sad spiral of events of a youth who has come from a broken home and trying to deal with a broken heart. His life is out of control and so is he, acting out to deal with the pent up agression he has within him. The relationship he shares with an equally out of control blonde that involves sex, drugs, and alcohol only drives him closer to the edge. I find this video extremely interesting however, because when the youth is rebelling this much it is always a sight to see. The song is very relateable though due to the fact that he feels screwed by his paents and society in general. I think that the volatile relationship between the guy in the video, Jimmy, and his girlfriend is very similar and even representative of that of Sid and Nancy's. I don't know if they did this on purpose but when I first saw the video they were the first two people I thought of. It just describes them very well, so maybe I'm just crazily ranting. But maybe I'm on to something..I don't know, email me and tell me what you think! Because they seriously do look and act like Sid and Nancy. But the Sid and Nancy theme suits the video well, my favorite lines from the song are, "To fall in love and fall in debt, to alcohol and cigarettes, and mary jane to keep me insane doing someone else's cocaine". I especially love the scene in the video when Jimmy goes in the freshly painted white bathroom and writes Saint Jimmy and cuts his hand and leaves a bloody handprint. It's actually my favorite scene and is so rock n roll!! I think it is saying something to, it's trying to get across the point of the pain he feels through the bloody handprint. The Saint Jimmy part I'm really not sure about except that he is making a departure from who he was before and becoming someone new. It is a very intense video/song. But I think that it is a really great one to! Because it doesn't sugar coat anything and tells an honest and chilling story that doesn't take anything out just because people might think it is to bad. So hope you guys enjoy the song and please, let me know you're opinion on it and my Nancy and Sid take on it!

1 comment:

  1. dude thats my favorite part too!!! i love that music video!!
    "this is not appropriate for scouts precious eyes!"
    wait that was amy...lol...whatever, we were skyping and i shared my screen with that video and scout was in her lap and you can figure it out from there.
    i love that song!!!

    ReplyDelete